Photofacials should be your go-to if you’re exposed to the sun regularly. It’s 2017, and some of you ladies and men are still visiting the tanning bed regularly. We all love the glow of bronzed sun-kissed skin, but tanning beds come with long-term side effects that you may not even be aware of. Let’s start with some obvious problems caused by tanning beds.
Sunburn is the most obvious one. You think 8 minutes in the bed is the perfect amount of time to catch some faux rays, but you didn’t know the light bulbs were JUST changed and you come out flushed and tender. A few hours from now, that rosy, warm glow will be a red, painful burn. A few days later, you peel, and you’re left with a tan. Studies have shown a link between severe sunburn and melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer. As well, never have any photofacials performed if you have a sunburn. Wait one month after you heal before resuming your photofacials. If you protect your skin, you will not reverse the effects of your photofacials.
Sun tanning might get you that ‘healthy’ glow you’re after, but it is not healthy at all – there is no safe tan, ever. Tanning increases melanin and causes your skin to darken; this process is also linked to cancer. One myth is that the ‘base tan,’ where you sun tan before going to a hot, sunny destination, will protect yourself from the sun once there. Not true, the extra melanin only provides an SPF of 3% more, which is nowhere near the recommended 15 SPF minimum. When you have a tan, it’s your skin telling you that it has been damaged.
Premature aging is caused by the sun and tanning beds. 90% of our visible signs of aging comes from the sun. That leaves only 10% from our genes. You’re at risk doing everyday tasks like running errands, walking the dog and even driving. UVA and UVB rays penetrate most glass. I know you wear your sunscreen in the summer, while you’re at the beach, but what about in the winter and on overcast days? Doubtful, unless you already know how much damage the sun causes.
The most visible signs of sun damage are wrinkles, pigmentation, sun spots, reduced skin elasticity and the degradation of skin texture. Sun damage affects all layers of the skin – both medically and cosmetically. Cosmetic aging from the sun includes leathering of the skin, increased wrinkling, and reddening. Basically, the number of wrinkles you develop is directly related to how much time you spend in the sun.
Now, I know some of you are thinking ‘I go tanning all the time, what can I do?’ Well, there is hope. Stop being a sun seeker without proper SPF; reapply throughout the day and follow the guidelines on the label. Stop, I repeat, stop going to the tanning bed. Not only does it age you faster, but it is also linked to causing cancer, which is very scary.
Let’s talk about reversing those signs of aging, and what you can do to help take the years of damage off of your skin.
Chemical peels provide a professional exfoliation of the skin and increase cell turnover which slows as we age. The solution is applied to the surface of the skin and works by dissolving the upper layers of the skin. Through the exfoliation process, collagen production and cell renewal are stimulated, resulting in younger-looking, healthy skin. The result is fresh, smooth skin that has a youthful glow.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) Photofacials
Photofacials are most commonly used for the following:
These are medium-depth chemical peels that work to improve skin health by helping remove and heal skin damage. The Jessner Peel has three main ingredients: lactic acid (exfoliation of the skin), salicylic acid (aids in penetration), and resorcinol (assists in the treatment of acne). These ingredients work together to exfoliate the outer layers of skin by breaking up dead skin cells, revealing younger, smoother skin.
TCA peels are a type of chemical peel that is used to:
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy
Also known as the ‘Vampire Facial,’ ‘Vampire Facelift’ or ‘Dracula Therapy,’ it works on the basis that the body’s own natural healing powers may slow and even reverse the aging process. Platelets are cells in the blood that help tissue to heal and grow new cells. The PRP, is injected into specific areas of the skin, promoting your collagen to grow, regenerate tissue, and naturally smooth and tighten the skin.
Lastly, of all the treatments, the least invasive is medical grade skincare. You may combine a skincare routine with a treatment too – this will help to improve results. Start protecting your skin now by wearing SPF, and staying away from the tanning beds. Get a natural glow with makeup, or self-tanner; they have come a long way and don’t smell awful anymore!
The only way to be sure what treatment is best for you is to come in for your free consultation! Book today.